- Digital Design
- Urban and Regional Planning and Design
BS (Civ Eng), MArch, PhD
Dr. Levy is a Professor of Planning and Urban Design at The University of Calgary, where he serves as the Director for the Real Estate Development Program in Continuing Education. Dr. Levy also serves as Director of Computing for the Faculty of EVDS and is an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Computer Science. Dr. Levy is a founding member of the Virtual Reality Lab and is a Co-Director of the Computational Media Design Program at the University of Calgary. Dr. Levy speaks at international and national conferences in the fields of urban planning, archaeology, GIS, virtual reality, serious games, education, and new media. His published work appears in journals including Journal of Archaeological Science, Internet Archaeology, and the Journal of Visual Studies, Environment and Planning, Plan Canada, VSMM, Canadian Games Association Journal and IEEE Journal.
- Levy, R., and Dawson, P. Interactive Worlds as Educational Tools for Understanding Arctic Life, Ann Arbor, Michigan, (in press).
- Levy, R. The Virtual Reality Revolution: The Vision and the Reality, InTech, New York City, 2012.
- Levy. R. Laser Scanning, a Tool in Archaeology and Architectural Preservation in Archaeology, edited by P. Dawson, Thomson Nelson, Scarborough, ON Publishers, 2008, 522-523.
- Katz, L., Levy, R., Parker, J., and Tyreman, H. Virtual Reality, WIT Press, Southampton, Boston, 2008.
- Levy, R. Computer Visualization and DTM: Historic Resource Management and Design in Community Destination Management, edited by Walter Jamieson, Binghamton, New York: The Haworth Press Inc., 2006, 169-180.
- Dickson, E., and Levy, R. GIS Remote Sensing and Tourism Destination Management in Community Destination Management, edited by Walter Jamieson, Binghamton, New York: The Haworth Press Inc., 2006, 101-111.
Journal Papers/Conference Papers/Articles
- Arnold, A.E.G.F., Burles, F., Iaria, G., Krivoruchko, T., Liu, I., Levy, R., and Rey, C.D. Cognitive Mapping in Humans and Its Relationship to Other Orientation Skills. Experimental Brain Research, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 224:3 (2013), 359-372.
- Boyd, J., Levy, R., and Mor, L. Augmented Reality for Virtual Renovation, ACCMM Proceedings, 2012.
- Boyd, J., Levy, R., and Mohammed-Amin, R.K. Mobile Augmented Reality for Interpretation of Archaeological Sites. ACCMM Proceedings, 2012.
- Dawson, P., Levy, R. and Lyons, N. Breaking the Fourth Wall: 3D Virtual Worlds as Tools for Knowledge Repatriation in Archaeology. Journal of Social Archaeology, 2011, 11:3, 387-402.
- Barton J. J., Iaria, G., Levy, R., and Liu, I. Age and gender differences in various topographical orientation strategies. Brain Research, 1410: 112-9, 2011.
- Levy, R. Using Role-Playing Games for Teaching History and Literacy, E-Learn, Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education, Proceedings, 2011.
- Levy, R. Virtual Reality: A Tool for Urban Planning and Public Engagement. Computers is Urban Planning and Urban Management ( CUPUM) Proceedings, July 7, 2011, Lake Louise, Alberta.
- Dawson, P., and Levy, R. Predicting The Behavior of Game Players, Space Syntax and Urban "Playful Technology in History" SSHRC sponsored Symposium, Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON. April 30, 2010.
- Arnold, A., Dawson, P., Lacroix, D., Levy, R., and Oetelaar, G. Documenting Mackenzie Inuit architecture using 3D laser scanning, Alaska Journal of Anthropology, 2009 (2) 31-44.
- Dawson, P., and Levy, R. Using finite element methods to analyze ancient architecture: an example from the North American Arctic, Journal of Archaeological Science, 36 (2009) 2298-2307.
- Levy, R., O’Brien, G., and Orich, A. “Predicting The Behavior of Game Players, Space Syntax and Urban Planning Theory as a Predictive tool in Game Design", VSMM Conference Proceedings, IEEE, 2009, pp 203-208.
- Dawson, P. and Levy, R. Exploring Thule Culture—Constructing Virtual Worlds for 3D Theaters, Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology, Williamsburg, VA, 2009.
- Levy, R., O’Brien, M.G., and Orich, A. “Virtual Immersion: The role of CAVE and PC technology.” CALICO Journal 26:2, January 2009.
- O’Brien, M.G., and Levy, R. “Exploration through virtual reality: Encounters with the target culture.” Canadian Modern Language Review. June, 2008.
- Dawson, P., and Levy, R. Structural Analysis, A Tool for Testing 3D Computer Reconstructions of Thule Whalebone Houses, Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology, Proceedings 2007, 2008, pp. 134-39.
- Katz, L., and Levy, R. Virtual Reality Simulation: Bobsled and Luge, Symposium Proceedings, 6tn International Association of Computer Science in Sport, 2007, pp. 241-251.
- Levy, R., Orich. A., Owston, R., and Widemann, H. Knight Elimar’s Last Joust: A Virtual Environment Game for Promoting Literacy Across the Curriculum Ed Media, Proceedings, 2007.
- Levy, R., and O’Brien, M.G. A Virtual World for Teaching German, Canadian Game Studies Association Journal,1:1, 2007.
- Dawson, P., Gardner, D., Levy, R., and Walls, M. Simulating the Behavior of Light Inside Arctic Dwelling: Implications for Assessing the Role of Visual Perception in Task Performance, World Archaeology, 2007 39(1) 17-35.
- Dawson, P., and Levy, R. 3D Imagining as a Tool in the Computer Reconstruction of a Thule Whalebone House, IEEE, Multi-Media Spring 2006, 78-83.
- Dawson, P., and Levy, R. Using 3D Computer Models of Inuit Architecture as Visualization Tools in Archaeological Interpretation: Two Case Studies from the Canadian Arctic, Field Archaeology, 2006, 185-195.
- Levy, R. Virtual Reality, A Tool for Planners, Plan Canada, 2005 Vol. 45 (4) pp 20-22.
- Levy, R. Virtual Reality, Report on Education Session, Downtown Real Estate Development, Plan Canada, 2005, Vol. 45 (4) p 46.
- Dawson, P., and Levy, R. Explore the Ideological Dimensions of Thule Whalebone Architecture in Arctic Canada, Internet Archaeology, 18:1, 2005.
- Levy, R. The Role of Laser Scanning in the Preservation and Renovation of Historic Architecture, 3D Digital Imagining and Modeling – Applications of Heritage, Industry, Medicine and Land, Padova, Proceedings, 2005.
- Guarnieri, A., Levy, R., and Vettore, A. Integrated Modeling Systems for 3D Vision, 3D Digital Imagining and Modeling – Applications of Heritage, Industry, Medicine and Land, Padova, Proceedings, 2005.
- Dawson, P., and Levy, R. From Laser Scanning to Virtual Reality: The Art and Science of Archaeological Reconstructions, Ed Media, World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications, Proceedings, 2005.
- Katz, L., Peng, X., Levy, R., and Sorrentino, R. M. Virtual Visualization: Preparation for the Olympic Games Long-Track Speed Skating, International Journal of Computer Science in Sport, 2005 4:1, 39-44.
- Arnold, C., Dawson, P., and Levy, R. Reconstructing Traditional Inuit House Forms Using 3D Interactive Computer Modeling, Journal of Visual Studies, 2004, 19(1):26-35.
- Dawson, P., and Levy, R. From Laser Scanning to Virtual Worlds: The Reconstruction of Traditional Inuit Houses, New Media Research Network Conference, Proceedings, 2004.
- Dawson, P., and Levy, R. Using 3D Computer Models of Inuit Architecture as Visualization Tools for Examining Social Organization: Two Case Studies from the Canadian Arctic ' Dynamics of Northern Societies' SILA/NABO, Proceedings Copenhagen, May 10th - 14th , 2004, 187-197.
- Levy, R. Urban Design and Computing, Planning, Canadian Institute of Planners, fall, 2004, Vol. 44:3, pp. 50-52.