Faculty of Environmental Design evds
Our Master of Planning degree in EVDS has been granted full and unconditional accreditation by the Canadian Institute of Planners for the maximum possible period of five years.
Applicants to the Master of Planning (MPlan) program require a four-year baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from the University of Calgary or a recognized institution. Degrees and grades from foreign institutions are evaluated for their equivalency to those of the University of Calgary. There are no required high school or undergraduate courses, or degree program prerequisites. The Admissions Committee looks for a connection between the applicant's undergraduate area of study and/or professional background and their indicated area of interest(s) in the Planning discipline. The application deadline is January 15.
Applicants to the degree program will possess a four-year baccalaureate degree with a grade point average (GPA) in the final two years of study of at least 3.00 (based on a four-point grading system). This will consist of a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents, and adequate senior level courses to ensure preparation for graduate work. Any graduate work is also considered.
A clear, concise and substantive statement of interest, which informs the admission committee of:
- the applicant’s reasons for wanting to pursue the MPlan
- how the applicant’s specific educational background and professional and personal experience relates their interest in pursuing a professional degree in Planning
- the applicant's ‘vision’ (related to their personal and professional goals and intentions), how admission to the MPlan program will assist in achieving these goals and anticipated outcomes from completion of the degree
Required: One example of the applicant's previous academic or professional productivity such as a written essay, published paper, thesis, design project, consulting report. These examples will be submitted in digital format;
A digital portfolio that provides examples or illustrates the applicant’s creative ability / potential through design work, professional work, research, creative ability, community action, or ideas related to their statement of intent or interests in Environmental Design. Below are the specifications of the digital portfolio (must be in pdf file format):
- 8.5" x 11" page size
- Maximum of 25 pages (please be selective, and only include examples that best show your creative ability / potential)
- First and last name to appear on cover page
- Footer on each page to include first and last name
- Indication of your specific involvement/contributions to group projects
- File name format: Lastname_Firstname_MPlan_2017portfolio.pdf
- PDF file no greater than 30 MB (resolution is for screen viewing, not print)
- Click here to access the Faculty of Graduate Studies online application system. You will be prompted to create or have your eID ready to access the on-line application. System will open September 1st.
- Non-refundable application fee: CDN $125 for Canadian citizens and permanent residents, or CDN $145 for international students who will be attending on a Study Permit.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (transcripts can either be sent directly to EVDS from the institution, or applicants can receive them and then send/deliver them to EVDS - envelopes must be received by EVDS sealed and signed) University of Calgary transcripts must be official. (If you attended University in another country, please check our international admissions requirements.)
- Three appropriate letters of reference (at least two should be academic) dated within 12 months of the date of application. Referees will be notified by email (once the applicant's online form has been submitted) and provided a link to complete an online reference. Only if the online form cannot be completed, referees may use this form.
- Proof of English Proficiency, if required.
- Statement of Interest - maximum of 2 pages - pdf file
- Examples of Work (see above) - pdf file
- Current resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV) - pdf file
- Portfolio (see above) - pdf file
Information sessions for the Master of Planning program provide prospective students with course overviews, application information and career options. A question and answer period will follow the presentation.
Info Session (Part of "EVDS Day"): Thursday, November 17th 3:30 - 5pm, PF 2160 (Register here: http://evds.ucalgary.ca/evdsday)