Application to the Master of Environmental Design (EVDS) (Thesis) require a four-year baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from the University of Calgary or a recognized institution. Degrees and grades from foreign institutions are evaluated for their equivalency to those of the University of Calgary. There are no required high school or undergraduate courses, or degree program prerequisites. The Admissions Committee looks for a connection between the applicant's undergraduate area of study and/or professional background and their indicated area of research interest(s). New: The online application system will open on September 1st. The application deadline is January 15.
Applicants to the degree program will possess a four-year baccalaureate degree with a grade point average (GPA) in the final two years of study of at least 3.00 (based on a four-point grading system). This will consist of a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents, and adequate senior level courses to ensure preparation for graduate work. Any graduate work is also considered.
Applicants must submit a clear, concise and substantive statement of interest, which informs the Admissions Committee of:
- the applicant’s reasons for wanting to pursue the MEDes
- how the applicant’s specific educational background and professional and personal experience relates to environmental design as a field of study and one or more of the thematic areas
- the applicant’s thesis research interests and ideas in the interdisciplinary context of environmental design and one or more of the program’s interrelated thematic areas
- the applicant's ‘vision’ (related to their personal and professional goals and intentions), how admission to the MEDes will assist in achieving these goals and anticipated outcomes from completion of the MEDes
Required: Applicants must submit at least one example of the applicant's previous academic or professional productivity such as a written essay, published paper, thesis, design project, consulting report. It is preferred these examples come in hard copy format;
in addition (optional)
a 'portfolio’ of the applicant's choosing that provides examples of or illustrates the applicant’s design work, professional work, research, creative thinking, community action, or ideas related to their statement of intent or interests in environmental design. This work should be presented in a compact form [bound or book format, acceptable sizes are 8.5" x 11" (216 x 279 mm), A4 metric (210 x 297 mm), or 11" x 11" (279 x 279 mm)] and should include reproductions (photographed, scanned, etc.) rather than original work.
- Online application form: The online application system will open on September 1. Click here to access the Faculty of Graduate Studies online application system. You will be prompted to create or have your eID ready to access the on-line application.
- Non-refundable application fee: CDN $100 for Canadian citizens and permanent residents, or CDN $130 for international students who will be attending on a Study Permit
- Two sets of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (transcripts can either be sent directly to EVDS from the institution, or applicants can receive them and then send/deliver them to EVDS- envelopes must be received by EVDS sealed and signed) University of Calgary transcripts must be official. (If you attended University in another country, please check our international admissions requirements.)
- Three appropriate letters of reference (at least two should be academic) dated within 12 months of the date of application. Referees will be notified by email and provided a link and unique access code with which to upload the reference form and letter - this happens once the applicant has submitted the online application.
- Proof of English Proficiency, if required
- Statement of Interest - maximum of 2 pages - uploaded to online application
- Portfolio or examples of work (see above)